H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival & CthulhuCon General Policies and Code of Conduct
By entering our events, all attendees accept our General Policies and agree to abide by our Code of Conduct. Attendees must respect common sense rules for public behavior, personal interaction, common courtesy, and respect for private property. Harassing or offensive behavior will not be tolerated. We reserve the right to revoke, without refund, the membership and badge of any attendee not in compliance with this policy. Persons finding themselves in a situation where they feel their safety is at risk or who become aware of an attendee not in compliance with this policy should immediately locate a member of security, or a staff member, so that the matter can be handled in an expeditious manner.
The following will be considered harassment: physical or verbal threats, unwelcome attention, stalking, pushing, shoving, or use of physical force, behavior that creates a disturbance or is dangerous, including lewd or generally offensive behavior or language, using sexually explicit or offensive language or conduct, excessive profanity, obscene gestures, use of racial, religious, sexual, gender, ability, or ethnic slurs. If a person tells you “no,” your business with them is done. If you continue to attempt to have contact with that person, you may be removed from the premises for the remainder of the event. Remember:
- “No” means no.
- “Stop” means stop.
- “Go away” means go away.
- Attire is not consent.
Reporting Harassment or Conduct Violations
We have taken steps to make it easy to report instances of offensive and/or harassing behavior. It is very important that if you are being harassed or are in any way endangered, you report it immediately. We cannot address anything that we are not made aware of and we need whatever detail can be provided, such as names, badge numbers, or other descriptive information. If you experience or witness harassment or threatening behavior, please find the nearest event staff member, or come to the Registration Desk in the lobby. As an attendee, if you witness harassment, threatening behavior, or other inappropriate conduct, we encourage you to speak up and say something. We want to come together as a community, look out for one another, and ensure everyone is treated with respect.
General Event Policies
- We are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property, or for injuries sustained during the course of the convention or festival.
- You must wear your valid event badge at all times to be admitted to the con, festival or events during the weekend.
- We reserve the right to ask you to leave the convention or events if you are acting outside the code of conduct.
- Please keep in mind that the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival & CthulhuCon is an all-ages event. We strive to maintain a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for children and adults.
- During the Festival, the official photographer will be taking photographs of the events. As an attendee, you may be photographed during this process. We use these photographs for promotional purposes only. If you do not wish to be photographed, please let our staff know immediately.
- If you are taking photographs of attendees, please respect those that do not wish to be photographed or recorded by asking permission to take pictures. In the past, we have had some attendees who are sensitive to camera flash or strobe lights. Always ask.
- Have fun, be safe, and be respectful.
Consequences of Code of Conduct Violation
We reserve the right to revoke convention or festival passes and attendance at events. If an individual is in violation of the Code of Conduct during an event, they may be barred from the event for an explicit amount of time or the duration of the event. If an individual breaks the law – city, state or federal – the authorities will be called.
We encourage you to dress up as your RPG character, Lovecraftian historical figure, favorite Mythos monster, or whatever else may strike your fancy. We also encourage you to keep it safe and avoid potential calamity.
- No real firearms. Period.
- With regards to swords/daggers/etc, if they’re sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure (even if they’re not made of metal), they will not be allowed.
- Any replica weapons must be clearly identifiable as fake from at least 10 feet away. If your fake rifle looks somewhat vaguely real, add an orange safety tip.
- Solid props such as staves which are weighty enough to bludgeon someone with a moderate force swing will not be allowed.
- Functional fake projectile weapons (think Nerf and Airsoft guns) must be disabled and unloaded.
- All weapons will be peace bonded either at registration. We will add a ziptie that identifies your weapon to staff and attendees as safe and approved.
- Aiming, brandishing, pointing, etc, any and all weapons at other attendees is not acceptable. You may mean it in fun, but your fun isn’t worth the alarm you will cause everyone else. In the case of minor issues, weapons will be held at the info booth until the end of the day. In the event of severe infractions, attendees may be asked to leave.
BADGES & WRISTBANDS
Always wear your badge or wristband and hang onto it! You will need your badge to attend any event related function, including all daytime and nighttime panels and events, convention-sponsored parties, and browsing or shopping in the Vendor room, as well as some additional offsite events. Keep your badge visible so volunteers/security do not stop you. If you’re asked to show your badge or wristband, please do so.
No Smoking in the venue No smoking is allowed indoors at any event at any time and in any location. Our venues are all non-smoking. You are welcome to step outside to smoke in designated smoking areas only, but please be considerate of others when you do. Please comply with this policy; noncompliance may result in being ejected from the venue.